) is the largest city of both Baja California State and the Baja Peninsula.
It is part of the San Diego–Tijuana transborder urban agglomeration and the larger Southern California megalopolis.
Because of this Tijuana gained a different purpose on the international border.
Although "Tia Juana" means "Aunt Jane" in Spanish, the name was actually an adaptation of the word 'Tihuan' or 'Tijuán' in the Kumeyaay language, the name of a nearby Kumeyaay settlement and whose meaning is disputed.
In 1848, as a result of the Mexican–American War with the United States, Mexico lost all of Alta California.
Further settlement took place near the end of the mission era when José María de Echeandía, governor of the Baja California and Alta California, awarded a large land grant to Santiago Argüello in 1829.
This large cattle ranch, Rancho Tía Juana, covered 100 km (40 sq mi).
The nickname Tijuas is increasingly popular among residents and visitors alike. The land was originally inhabited by the Kumeyaay, a tribe of Yuman-speaking hunter-gatherers.